Monday, November 28, 2011

Chris Leben suspended for 1 year

Following his loss to Mark Munos at UFC 138 in England, Chris "The Crippler" Leben was crippled by a 1 year suspension for testing positive for banned substances Oxycodone and Oxymorphine.

The UFC today announced the test results and suspension. All remaining fighters on the UFC 138 card passed their drug tests.



UFC President Dana White released a statement earlier today on UFC.com regarding Leben's future.

"I like Chris and I want him to do well, but based on his actions, he's been suspended for one year,” White said. "If he needs professional help, we are going to be there for him. We want to see him succeed not only in the Octagon, but in his personal life.”

Leben's history with drug problems have been well-documented, as the 31-year-old previously tested positive for Stanozolol following his bout with Michael Bisping at UFC 89 and was suspended for nine months. "The Crippler" has also had his fair share of run-in's with the law as well; he has been charged with DUI on multiple occasions.

Leben also issued a statement earlier today and he apologized for his actions.

"I would like to make it known that I fully accept this suspension and apologize for embarrassing the UFC, my friends and family, and sport of mixed martial arts,” Leben said. "I’ve got to make some real changes over the next year and I’m going to focus on getting my life and career back on track. Again, I’m sorry to the UFC and fans that’ve supported me since my days on The Ultimate Fighter.”

The news is certainly disappointing as Leben who had a brawling style of fighting was certainly a fan favorite and was on track to becoming one of the top contenders in the middleweight division despite his loss to Munoz. Due to this being his second offence with the company, it is likely that Leben will be required to seek professional help in order to overcome his problems and return to the UFC in better physical shape and mental shape.

We feel for you Chris Leben, and hope your get past your demons.

No comments:

Post a Comment